The name of all ENGLISH NEWSPAPERS Starts With “THE”

                       THE
         The name of all English newspapers starts with THE. I don’t know whether you have noticed this before. Well I didn’t notice this until my English Lecturer asked this question in Class. I was surprised that I haven’t noticed this at all.
       
 

                                                                                                      
                       
          There is no rule that the name of newspapers must start with THE. But yet we use them. Why is this so??

          Lets do a small research about the word THE.I found out from my dictionary that the word "THE" is a definite article and it is used at the beginning of the noun groups. it also says that THE is used with some titles, place names, and other names.

          The use of this word THE in the name of the newspaper is also because of the reason that it is a TITLE. But, there are also some other reasons for this use. They are…

          As I told earlier, it is a DEFINITE ARTICLE. The name of a newspaper is also definite. There cannot be another newspaper with the same name. The use of “THE” in front of a name helps us to identify that it’s the name of a newspaper. For example, HINDU is the name of a religion and it can be used in many ways but using the word THE in front of it makes it “THE HINDU”. Now its easy for us to recognize whether the word refers to the HINDU religion or the NEWSPAPER.

          The name of a newspaper is often referred in many articles like “Mr.XYZ told The Hindu,  if the word THE is not present here we may get confused whether it refers to HINDU or the newspaper team.

          This is why the word THE is used in front of the name of all newspapers. You also learnt how the use of this word helps us. It has become an unwritten rule and also a tradition to start the name of a English newspaper with THE.

           I have one more thing to tell you. An English Newspaper DECCAN CHRONICLE doesn't have the definite article THE in it's name. This is because the phrase Deccan Chronicle doesn't have any other meaning. As I already told you there is no written rule for this, it is not necessary that all the names of the newspapers should start with THE. 

              I thank my Lecturer Mr. Chandramohan KS for helping me to get the answer. .
                                        Please see my other Facts too.. Thank U

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...